Have you ever dreamed of movie nights under the stars? To create your own DIY outdoor movie screen, you will need either a sheet or a screen, something to mount it on (wood posts or tripod stand), portable projector (Amazon/eBay for roughly $70-$120), outdoor speakers, and a USB with the movie on it or connect your laptop.
For comfort, select outdoor rugs, blankets, toss pillow, cushions, poufs, and outdoor chairs. Don’t forget the snacks, such as popcorn, candy, and refreshments. You can place them on a tray or create a refreshment stand for your evening soiree. For ambiance, string lights, lanterns, or LED candles.
If you are setting up your backyard movie screen on a deck, a firepit will provide both warmth and ambiance. TIP: A projector that has been highly rated and is very affordable is the VANKYO Leisure 3 Mini Projector, 3600L Portable Movie Projector. Transform your backyard with our fabulous outdoor movie screen ideas below for the ultimate movie night. Don’t forget to let us cognize which one of these ideas Trendy inspired you and why in the Comments!
1. This dreamy boho-inspired decor scheme has everything needed for backyard movie night. Use comfortable throws and rugs for seating areas, along with poufs and cushions. This would also be great for an outdoor birthday party celebration with the balloons surrounding the movie screen. Don’t forget the popcorn and candy! (via @levelevents)
2. This is what deck dreams are made of! This astonishing deck was transformed into an outdoor movie night experience. String lights add to the overall evening time ambiance. (via @sarahknuth)
3. An outdoor movie is a fabulous experience for the whole family to enjoy. This cozy backyard features a layering of outdoor rugs, pillow, poufs, and even a teepee. Twinkle lights sourced from Target are added for ambiance. The 72-inch portable projector screen and adjustable tripod stand were found on Amazon. (via @lifebyleanna)
4. Enjoying an outdoor cinema in the garden is a great way to spend an evening! Rugs and cast pillows provide added comfort. Decorative round white paper lanterns and string lights are hung from the trees for visual interest and some nighttime twinkle. The paper lanterns are from Amazon, while the garden lights were sourced from Lights4Fun. (via @squid_and_goose)
5. Enjoy outdoor dining and a movie in your backyard, just add string lights for a magical glow! This is the great setting for a birthday party or entertaining family and friends. (via @always_finding)
6. This fantastic outdoor movie night setup features the ultimate boho decor, with everything from layered rugs to comfortable cushions and cast pillows. A flat (bed) sheet is used for the screen, affixed to tall bamboo posts using rope/string, wooden pegs, and zip ties. The projector screen used: Projectors YG-300 LCD Mini Support 1080P Portable LED.
Fairy lights are used for a magical atmosphere. Don’t forget your favorite loungewear, bubbly, and blankets. Gather with a few friends and make it a theme party night, matched with your movie selection. Get the tutorial at the provided link. (via Spell & The Gypsy)
7. This outdoor movie experience was designed to feel like camping, including friends, s’mores, hot chocolate, popcorn, a campfire, and cartoons for the kids on the DIY screen. To make the screen, the designer used readymade cast iron pipes from a home improvement store. The screen is a 9’x12′ dropcloth attached with clamps. Get the full tutorial at the provided link. (via Emily Henderson)
8. This simple DIY open-air movie theater was made using PVC pipes and a white sheet. This backyard offers added comfort with Adirondack chairs, sofa cushions, and tables for setting down beverages and snacks. A snack station helps to cater to your family members and guests. Get the full tutorial at the provided link. (via HGTV)
9. Outdoor movie nights can be quite magical, especially with a fire pit, S’mores, and your favorite flick playing on a projector screen. (via @fleur_at_home)
10. Create an outdoor theater in your backyard garden using a white sheet and pegging it to a washing line. You can also create your own screen by sewing together pieces of blackout lining. Affix the screen to pieces of timber with screw hooks affixed to the top and bottom. Be sure to have some blankets for warmth and a light a fire pit for additional warmth and ambiance. (via Ideal Home)
11. A backyard trellis is used to affix an outdoor movie screen. String lights and lanterns are used for a magical glow. The screen can also be viewed from the hot tub! (via @crack_the_shutters)
12. Bring out the popcorn and refreshments to enjoy this outdoor cinema featuring a 25-foot inflatable movie screen and projector. This backyard movie theater is great for date night, family movie night, or a kids’ birthday party. (via @cocktailcaravanbar)
13. This backyard pergola is used as a cozy entertaining area with plenty of seating to enjoy both lounging and movie watching. Here, a television is used for watching movies. However, you could also use a sheet or movie screen secured with rope between the posts for a DIY screen. (via @myriamporrazzo)
14. This dreamy courtyard features comfortable outdoor furnishings set around an outdoor movie screen set against a wall. A fire pit provides warmth and ambiance, along with string lights overhead. (via @challengerjournal)
15. This outdoor movie night experience features a 14-foot movie screen, HD projection, audio/visual, popcorn machine, and a candy platter. Add some blankets and cushions for warmth and comfort. (via @nulinkmedia)
16. Another cozy setup for your outdoor movie experience, with a layering of blankets, cushions, and a basket filled with throws. Wooden crates are turned upside down to use as a rustic table for beverages. (via @nulinkmedia)
17. A backyard movie theater in Warsaw, Poland features a large outdoor screen encircled by comfortable furnishings and accented with pillows and throws. String lights and candles add a magical ambiance. (via @marzena.marideko)
19. A cozy backyard movie night in Newport Beach, California features a boho-inspired theme. The lanterns hanging from the tree were sourced from World Market. (via @andeelayne)
20. Bring family movie nights outdoors with this cozy idea. All you need is a blanket and some pillows and a spot to affix your movie screen or sheet. Here, the homeowners used their backyard shed wall. (via @bree_arnold10)
21. A backyard deck provides an inviting atmosphere for family movie nights in the great outdoors. (via Pinterest)